Saturday, September 22, 2012

Call Me Lazy, or Crazy

I have realized that college takes a lot of work.  But I have realized that no matter your intentions, finishing produces the same results: a diploma.
  I will warn you, this blog is going to sound like a lot of complaining. And maybe it is, but bear with me. I feel like I put forth a good amount of work to get through college, and I also pay an arm and a leg for a Christian Liberal Arts College.  I feel like I get hit with a double whammy: lots of work and a ton of college debt.
  In my travels, I have encountered semi-socailist nations that have free college for everyone.  Now, in these countries the workload is very heavy, and I believe it should be.  But why do I have to work so hard for something I am paying for? 
  On the other hand, my mom said, "You don't appreciate what you don't work for."  I completely agree.  I'll appreciate it more everyday I pay back loans, right? (This blog is beginning to feel like buyer's remorse for college.)
  The crux of this post is this: I should be the receiving services if I am the consumer, correct?  Now, I realize that quality education is indeed a service provided.  Homework, however, is not a service.  I feel like a only a fool would say, "Hey, let me pay you a boatload of money, and then I will destroy myself to meet the requirements that you impose upon me."  It's like paying a contractor to build your house, then doing all of the work yourself...
  So, on the I'm-just-joking side, I don't feel like I need to work to receive an education because I am paying for it.
  On the I'm-dead-serious side, colleges (especially private Christian colleges) should be working pretty dang hard to get and keep students.  I don't think that catering to their every want and need is the answer, but from a business perspective, that makes a lot of sense.

In the end, this is just my own stupidity written on the Internet.  But, something is wrong with our system, college is way too expensive.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you my man. I like hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete