Saturday, August 27, 2011

Clippings, but not from the Newspaper

  If you've spent much time around me, you've probably noticed one of my many bad habits: biting my nails.  Well, I'm working on quitting, and tonight, I experienced a small taste of success:
  About a week or so ago, I decided that I needed to consciously make an effort to stop biting my nails and start using fingernail clippers.  So, every time that I would start to chew on my fingers, I would think "Stop it!"  Obviously, I didn't execute this as perfectly as I would've hoped.  But, I resisted biting my pointer fingers' nails.  The other ones did receive some tooth attention.
  I realized tonight, that my pointer fingers' nails were actually long enough to cut; I was a little bit excited.  (It's the simple pleasures, guys).  A year ago, I bought fingernail clippers, but I can probably count on one hand how many times I've used them.  So, it was almost the maiden voyage for this little metal device.  And I clipped my fingernails.  Hurrah!!
   However exciting this may be, it's not what I wanted to share.  While cutting my nails, I realized that I was really out of practice (especially with my left hand).  It just felt weird, unnatural because I never do it.  But, the weird feeling didn't keep me from cutting my nails because I knew that it was the right thing to do.  I knew by cutting them with the clippers would keep away the pain of biting off a nail too short.  Plus, they just look better.
   This made me think of life.  Many times, we need to discipline ourselves to do stuff that is weird and unnatural because it will do us good in the end.  Good things are difficult to do for our evil flesh.  We trust God because His rewards are a quite a bit better than what this world has to offer.  Once you get in the habit of doing the right thing, it becomes as normal as the bad habit used to be.
  The hardest part is that first step, that maiden voyage for the good habit.  Evangelist Mark Cahill shares Christ with everyone he meets (and he meets a whole lot of people) says that the first person of the day is always the hardest.  After that, they just come more easier and easier.
So don't hesitate, Stop the bad, Start the good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment