Friday, November 25, 2011

Things that Matter

Yesterday, being Thanksgiving, I decided to make a list of things for which I was thankful, just to stay in the spirit of giving thanks. I mean, I had already watched two football games, I figured I should carry out some other traditions.  It was a fairly generic list (family, friends, God's provision, etc) But, eventually, I did put some serious thought into it.  I realize that in someways, it was a type of exit interview for this trip. (I can hardly believe that I only have two short weeks left.)
  "So that was cool or whatever," said my soul as I picked up the Bible.  I'm currently reading through Romans, and last night I was reading chapters 3 and 4. Chapter 3 verse 23 is pretty familiar, but 3:24 hit me like a ton of bricks, "...being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;"  I said, "Wow, really, Will? You just wrote a list of 16 things you were truly thankful for and not once did you mention your salvation."  To be honest, I was ashamed of myself. 
  These last several days I have been so obsessed with pondering life, love, legends, and lands far away, that I had let the greatest gift slide into my peripheral vision.  I needed to be put in my place spiritually, taken down from my high horse where I think that I am the only person in the world.  In the grand scheme of things, how important is what I do next year? In light of eternity, am I doing things that matter?
  Ladies and gentlemen, we are only about 35 days from the year 2012.  I have no idea what that year may hold, and in many ways, it does not really matter, my eternity is secure. 
 Is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment