Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Unexpected Happenings on a Sunday Evening.

I had a a pretty busy weekend, and honestly, I was glad.  I had been doing a lot of sittting around, and it was good to have get a break from doing nothing.  It involved a lot of running around, social gatherings, work, church, and not getting a whole lot of sleep.  I remember thinking to myself, "Ironically, I like it better this way." 
  But Sunday during church, I experienced an interesting turn of events.  Half way through the preaching, I began to get a terrible headache that eventually became a migraine.  Allow me to set the scene: the church building has about 50 or so people, and it it steaming hot, even though it´s eight o´clock at night. I realized that this was the kind of headache that leads to vomitting (unfourtunately, I have had migraines like this in the past).  But, the good thing about being sick at church, is that everyone cares for you.  However, sometimes it´s hard to feel the love when it feels like someone is driving a steak into the right side of your head with a sledge-hammer.  Eventually, we went home.
   On the way home, the aforementioned up-chucking came to pass (about 9 pm).  I proceeded to go to bed and try to sleep.  The events that followed where like clock work.  I vommitted every hour on the hour until midnight.  There was much talk and discussion and phone calls, regarding a trip to the hospital, but none of the talk materialized.  I just went to bed.  When I awoke, I felt much better. 
  The only problem was that it was 4 am!  So, I just laid in bed and felt happy to be alive.  I thanked the Lord that I was feeling so well.  Then, I was hit with a stunning realization: Every day last week, I hadn't been able to get to sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, and it made me angry.  I would lay in bed and just be mad, because I wasn't asleep.  But this time, I was thankful.  I was amazed at how just a little perspective change can make a curse into a blessing.   Around 5 o'clock, I drifted off into a thankful, peaceful sleep.  Things I needed to learn on a Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment