Friday, February 3, 2012

Dijon, mon nouveau ville

As you may know, I currently live in the city of Dijon, France.  It is located less than 200 miles from Paris, but only an hour and half by train.  The ride is picturesque, the little towns reminded me of Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  (This is appropriate because that movie is set in France.)
  My first description of the city: A fierce collision of the new and the old. The buildings are ancient, especially where I live downtown.  However, new businesses are everywhere. By "new", I mean McDonald's and other internationally renowned companies.  Near the house, there are a ton of places to shop for clothes of all kinds, just because it looks like a medieval city, doesn't mean that it not downtown of a fairly important European city.  
  The streets are narrow and if you don't live in downtown, you aren't allowed to navigate your vehicle down the slender alleys.  Dijon is known for it's churches, Roman Catholic churches of course.  There are at least 18 cathedrals and chapels worth listing on Wikipedia.  I saw about 4 in my excursion today.
  My excursion today consisted of my going to the train station to a photo-booth to get pictures for my student ID.  Needless to say, I left the house, so I got lost.  Not that I didn't enjoy seeing the city, but one gets cold in 25º F weather, especially when one wonders around for more than a couple of hours.
  And to add insult to injury, I left the camera at the house.  It's right here by my computer.  For that I beg your apologies, I know some of you have requested documentation.  To make up for the lack of photographical images, I shall include the logo and coat of arms of Dijon.
Pasted Graphic 1.tiff
Logo
Pasted Graphic 2.tiff
Coat of Arms 

No comments:

Post a Comment