Saturday, March 24, 2012

Where I come from...ish

Perhaps some of you are interested in the specifics of this town and my university. If not, then this post will be intensely boring:
  Dijon is a city of 151,000 people (downtown) and about 250,000 (with "Greater Dijon" included.)  For those of you in Indiana, that's about the size of Ft. Wayne.  Dijon is a rich city with a lot of old money.  It is the site of the capital of Duchy of Burgundy, and still the capital of the region of Bourgogne (Burgundy).  Due to the affluence of its inhabitants, Dijon is a very safe city.  This is strange for me, as I associate cities with crime and danger. 
   Some of the quicker readers will have thought earlier, "Hey Dijon, isn't that a kinda mustard?"  In fact, it is.  It is from here and is consumed in great quantities.  I really like it, it's spicier than regular mustard and just has more body.  (I don't know what that means, but it seemed like the right description.)
  Here in Dijon, I attend L'Université de Bourgogne (affectionately called l'UB).  I find this amusing because UB is also the acronym for my school in Argentina (Universidad de Belgrano).  There are about 27,400 students in all.  It's a pretty diverse campus with 126 nationalities represented.
  I, and the other grace students, form part of the CIEF (Centre International d'Études Français).  The Center of International French Studies takes up less than three small prefab buildings.  Over 1000 students study there between the spring, fall, and summer terms.
 If you wanna see what my school looks, type in "Rue Edgar Faure, Dijon, France" at google.com/maps.  Check out the street view feature.
  My home address is 14 Rue Vauban, Dijon, if you would like to see what the outside of my house looks like.

 
Sources
Wikipedia
http://ressources.campusfrance.org/guides_etab/etablissements/en/univ_dijon_en.pdf
Google Maps

No comments:

Post a Comment