Thursday, July 7, 2011

Competition Withdraw

  I didn't play soccer on Tuesday, and I can feel it in my bones.  Granted, my knee tells me that I did play soccer...(maybe that was the walking around for an hour...)
  But deep down, I have this urge to fight and compete.  I watched soccer last night, but that didn't cut it.  I'm about ready to find some computer game to fight against.  Something that I can challenge.  Not that I don't do challenging things.  I'm working on learning to play the guitar, and that's not easy.  But, I can't win.  You can't really "win" at guitar.  Well, some people have.  I would say that Van Halen "won" at guitar.  
  But I digress. The point is competition.  I watched Argentina play a miserable soccer game last night, and that didn't take the place of my yearning to compete. At Grace, I had all sorts of outlets to compete in: intramurals sports, Halo, Settles, or miscellaneous pick-up games of anything.  So, I feel the need to beat someone at something... Any volunteers to get pummeled? 
   So the gist of this string of rambles: I think that organized sports help to keep wars at bay.  I mean, think about back in the day before soccer, basketball, or the olympic games.  When a guy had the urge to destroy somebody, well, "There's the neighboring city-state. Knock yourself out, buddy."  Think about 2 Samuel 11:1, "Then it happened in the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle..."   That sounds like hunting season to me!  Then, rest of the chapter describes David's sin because he wasn't out there at war. 
  Nowadays, we have professional sports to entertain that competitive nature: Soccer, basketball, football (maybe..) Not to mention getting out there to play these fun games ourselves. My theory is that without these constructive outlets, we'd have a lot more violence in the streets.  Well, soccer hear causes violence here in the streets... But there'd be more without it! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment