Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tetris

  I was playing Tetris today, and I realized that this little game has a lot of real life applications, as do must things that aren't real life.  Think about it, it starts of slow and you think, "Ok, really? I think that I could go eat dinner before the next piece gets here." Then, "Hehe, this is challenging, just fast enough to be fun." And before you know it, "Holy cow, what's going on!?"  And there's that horrible feeling of helplessness, that you just can't do it!  
  Tetris makes me think of life in light of decision making.  You don't realize how awful that decision was til 0.5 seconds after the point of no return.  Then, you try to switch white horses in the middle of the river, and things just get messy.  You think, "If only I could see the future..." Hey, buddy, that little box in the corner shows you what's coming next!   "Oh."
  Also, tetris teaches patience, if you mess up, you can't fix it in one move.  You have to carefully handle the pieces that the game throws at you to fix your mistakes.  Sound familiar?  


  I'm sure that this post portrays me as a man full of regrets peering into the mirror of a simple game.  That's not really the case.  These are just the things that come to mind as I play tetris. The great thing about the game is that once you lose, you can always start over.  In that respect, it's not like life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment