Sunday, September 4, 2011

Salt

The other day, we had company, and my "brother" bought bread from the grocery store around the corner.   When I tasted the bread,  I knew something was askew.  This bread looked completely normal.  It had all the indications of regular, tasty bread.  But, all of my expectations were shattered when it entered my mouth.   The bread was bland, flavorless.  My first conclusion was "This bread doesn't have any salt in it."  My "mom" later confirmed my sneaking suspicion.   
  The next day, I ate some regular bread, and some of the saltless bread just because.  The difference was impressive.  The saltless bread made me want to spit and the wash my mouth out with soap.  
  I made a comment to my "mom" about the difference, and she said that that is why as Christians, we are the salt of the earth.  I was kinda impacted by that.  I mean, the earth is gonna taste like that nasty bread if we don't do our job?  Yikes!  
  I began to think about the importance of salt in food.  It's an absolute necessity.  Cooking isn't really cooking without salt.  
  So here's my question:  Are you being salt in your saltless world? Are the places that you frequent impacted positively by your presence? 

 “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

Matthew 5:13

No comments:

Post a Comment