Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Responsibility and Trust

  According to the StrengsQuest quiz, responsibility is my top strength.  This makes sense, since I am an oldest child.  I consider my self a responsible person and take jobs and duties seriously.  I also am quick to blame myself when things go wrong.  Deep down, I may know it was directly someone else's fault, but I'm quick to apologize because I can see how I could have prevented the problem.  
  In the situations with which I am involved, I like to be in charge.  "Being in charge" brings high levels of control and responsibility, which is good.  I don't like getting involved with things that are going to tie my hands and leave me at the mercy of someone else.   


   About now, you're probably thinking: Will, I really don't care about your thought processes or that you're a control freak.  Get the point! 
  
   The point is this: Because I like to be in charge, I find it difficult, sometimes, to trust God.  I feel uncomfortable with situations that I can't control.  I mean it sounds great to say, "Well, I'm just trusting the Lord on this one..."  But in the end, I feel so irresponsible and immature.  I think, I'm an adult and can take care of myself!  What am I doing?  The reason for this is that I don't want to give up "being in charge."   Not being in control means that I am left with nothing.  The only thing to cling to is Christ.  There's no "standing alone because I can"  because, quite frankly, I can't.  


   Recently, I have been finding myself in more and more situations where unhindered faith and trust in God is absolutely necessary.  In those situations, I tend to realize that trusting God is actually the most mature and responsible decision possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment