Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Hate Waiting.

   I found out where I could get a reloadable card for the subway and most busses: at the post office of all places. I stopped by during my break time, but the line was huge.  So, I figured that I would just stop by after school and get in line.  I got a number from the dispenser, like at the old fashion deli.  "53" Well, the digital board says "37," that's a good sigh.  But some quick mental math told me that there were more than 15 people in this little building... Oh o... I saw someone try to go up, but didn't understand why he was rejected.  It became very clear 53 was called and I went up.  She told me that my number was pink and the others were green... That meant that I had to wait til 100 more numbers were called!!
   At this point in my life, I began to wonder if it was worth my time to stand here and wait. (All the seats were taken). I proceeded to read my book and casually explain to confused people why their number was lower than the one on the board.  Finally after 2 long hours of waiting, my real number was called and walked up the first window.
   After I explained what I wanted, the lady behind class asked if I had my document. Document?! "Which document?" I ask.  Assuming I'm a foreigner, she says "Your passport, or a photocopy of it."   My heart sunk. I couldn't just run and get it, cause home is an 1 1/2 hours away.  I left in a rush of combined fury and disappointment.
  I the most crowded ride home I've ever had and reached home exhausted.  After I explained myself to my host parents I was chided for A) Not asking for help and B) not having at least photocopies of my passport on me.  Oh well, C'est la vie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment