Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Price of Tea in China...

As promised, I will talk about food.  My host mom here is an excellent cook, and I have had the privilege of eating whatever she makes everyday.
  However, this story is about buying food downtown.  At lunch time yesterday I thought to myself, "Self, you should go get a coke and sandwich somewhere."  And that I did.  I got a little Coke like I was accustomed to drinking in Mexico.  It was in a glass bottle, and I was very excited to drink it.  When the the guy at the store told me that I costs $3.50 ($.85 USD), I almost croaked.   You say, "Will, 85 cents, really? Why are you complaining?"
I say, "I Mexico, that little bottle of Coke cost me less than 50 cents!" (Actually 3.5 Mexican pesos). I just assumed that this guy way taking advantage of me because I was a foreigner.
   Then I went to a different store to get a ham sandwich, this cost 9 pesos!! I was blown away.  Almost 2 dollars for that little sandwich!  Needless to say, I ate my lunch and was kind of upset.  I hate getting ripped off! I just paid the same number of Argentine pesos what this was worth in Mexican pesos!  2.5 times what it's worth!
   Later that night, I asked my host parents about these ridiculous prices.  They proceeded to tell me that I hadn't been ripped off, and that those prices were normal.  I was shocked. I forgot that Mexico drinks more pop per capita than any other country...

This little Coke is only 237 mml (half a pint). 

No comments:

Post a Comment