Saturday, June 4, 2011

"We're Not in Kansas Anymore Toto..."

  Argentina is not Mexico.  Fact. In many ways Argentina is like Mexico.  But there have been some surprises thus far.  This list is not extensive, but I wanted to have a lead-up to #1.
  Surprise #3
 On the busses around the city, you have to pay with coins.  There is a machine into which one puts their bus fare.  (You can use a reloadable card too.)  But the driver doesn't take the money like in Mexico.
   Surprise #2
  Vocab.  Obviously, word usage is different here than Mexico. Of course, there are everyday terms that differ,  but the family was discussing a word that they heard on TV, and I was kind of startled.  When they asked me if I knew what it meant, I was like, "Well, it's a swear word in Mexico..."  Pablo informed me later of some words that are not offensive in Argentina that I would not have said in Mexico.
     Surprise #1
I am familiar and comfortable with the greeting of a "kiss" on the cheek. Girls to girls, guys to girls, nothing out of the ordinary, until guys kiss guys.  That really threw me for a loop.  Mostly because I wasn't expecting it, but still...  I have come to realize that when men extend their right hand, it's not for a handshake; they're reaching for your shoulder.  Then, you get greeted. After a little more than a week, I'm almost used to it.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Will! Keep up the good work of keeping us posted. We miss you here!
    G'ma and G'pa Doron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you on your blog...great idea! We're praying for you regularly! Dave and Sally and kids

    ReplyDelete