Friday, June 10, 2011

Mother Tounge

  So, the youth pastor of the church here gave me the book that the leaders are reading.  It's called Como Multiplicar to Ministerio by Jonathan Mckee.  It's very interesting because the book was obviously written in English and then translated.  There are many times when I look at the he phrased an expression, and it makes perfect sense to me.  Why? because I know that he said in English, and in my opinion, it did not translate well.  Which makes me think, "Man, how much are the Argentines missing when they read this book?"  Maybe not much, but I don't know.  The youth pastor is American, and I assume he gets most of the expressions.
   I see the same thing in translated movies.  So today, when we watched an Argentine movie in class, it was refreshing to hear what the author wrote in the script (minus the bad language.)  I get tired of poor translations that don't quite convey the exact message. On the other hand, sometimes Spanish can be more exact.  Which in turn can specify the English vagueness, which is sometimes intentional.
   So I said to myself, "I know what he is saying because I know the original language" That got me thinking, as many things do: This is my motivation for wanting to learn the Biblical languages.  I want to learn about the Biblical authors were saying, not our English versions that sometimes don't quite, to use the words of Cynthia Verga, "hit the nail on the dot."

1 comment: